UPDATE: This recipe was originally posted at HathaYoga.com. Nutritional information is included at the bottom of this post. Recipe by Ellen Naor, photos by Jacob Naor.
My mom has been cooking low fat vegan for years, and she’s an amazing cook. This is one of her signature creations. She wanted to call these “Dad’s Favorite Pancakes”, which they are. But while he does help her cook, the recipe is all hers. So I convinced her to let me call them “Mom’s Magical Vegan Blueberry Pancakes”!
So you might ask what makes my mom’s pancakes magical? Because they magically disappear! Not only are these delicious, but they’re low fat and super healthy too. You can eat a big stack of them, guilt free! Check out the complete nutritional information in the table at the bottom of the post.
Mom’s Magical Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
- ½ cup graham flour (Mom uses Bob’s Red Mill)
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (Mom uses Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk or other plant-based milk (+ additional tablespoons as needed)
- ½ cup frozen blueberries (optional – no need to thaw)
1. Mix the flours, wheat germ, and baking powder in a medium sized bowl.
2. Add the almond milk and vanilla.
3. Combine with a wire whisk or a fork. Add additional milk a tablespoon at a time to achieve proper consistency. Batter should be fairly thick, but thin enough to drip from the whisk.
4. Add blueberries, and gently mix them in with a large spoon.
5. Preheat non-stick frying pan for 2-3 minutes, at medium temperature.
6. Spoon batter into frying pan, making pancakes about 3” wide.
7. Turn down the heat a bit if necessary, to avoid burning the outside before the inside is cooked. Use your finger to test “done-ness”: the pancakes spring back when pressed.
8. The batter tends to thicken as it stands. Add additional almond milk or water to remaining batter, one tablespoon at a time, to maintain the right consistency.
9. Time to eat! Makes 10-12 small vegan blueberry pancakes, to serve two happy people.
If you have any leftovers, you can always freeze them. They toast up nicely for a quick, easy breakfast anytime. You can also make up a double batch just to have some extras around!
By popular demand, here’s the nutritional information for the recipe. Note that all values are PER SERVING, calculated assuming the recipe makes 2 servings.
Calories from fat
|TOTAL PER SERVING||285||30||3.0g||91mg||54g||4g||10g|
|Whole wheat flour||55||2||0.3g||0mg||11.5g||0g||2g|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||55||3||0.3g||0mg||11.5g||0g||1g|
All values are rounded to the nearest integer. If you have any questions please let us know in the comments below. Bon appetit!